Thursday, March 22, 2012

Is Ground Beef Safe to Eat?

Much ado lately about "pink slime" - ground beef filler found in many brands of ground beef sold commercially.  Here is the latest from CNN about chain grocery stores making the decision not to carry ground beef that contains fillers:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2012/03/21/exp-cohen-and-pink-slime-in-ground-beef.cnn

Many years ago, when mad cow disease was a concern, I stopped eating ground beef altogether.  The last few years I admit I have slacked.  I don't buy ground beef often at the store, and when I do, I tend to choose organic meat.  However, my family eats out a fair amount and I admit a nicely done burger can be pretty tasty.  The latest information on pink slime has me worried though - think I will stay away from ground beef again.  With our children eating at school, and eating out on their own with friends, it makes me concerned about their consumption too.

Has anyone else out there changed their eating patterns based on what they are reading about ground beef?  Staying informed makes you more educated about what you choose to eat, and that is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I personally haven't eaten red meat/pork in about 13 years. However, my husband and step-kids do. I worry about what they eat when we're out and when they're at school, in terms of diseases, antibiotics, etc in meat and other foods. My husband and I 'debate' :) about how much and what types of meat our 1 1/2 year old eats. It is tough already, since at daycare their lunch contains ham and beef almost every day. Right now I send a substitute, but I'm sure that will get harder as she gets older. I found this article interesting concerning all the rumors out there about chicken nuggets and 'pink slime'! http://www.parents.com/blogs/dadabase/2012/01/21/health/mommy-where-do-chicken-nuggets-come-from/ I don't have all this figured out, but I agree that anytime we stop and think about what we're putting in our bodies, it's a good thing! Thanks for your blogs, they are helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika - love the comments; I love that video but find it so alarming and typical of kids today -- adults would be grossed out, but the kids are willing to eat things as long as they taste ok. I am amazed that many kids in my practice won't even try vegetables or new foods, but would eat that nugget without hesitation :) I try teaching my kids to make good food choices, but once they get to school and out on their own, they are free to make their own choices. I think it is our job to continue to teach them what is healthier in their diet AND hope that they will model good choices that we make too.

      Delete