Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The "Dirty Dozen" - Produce with the highest amounts of pesticides

I was asked to recap the "Dirty Dozen" list - fruits and vegetables with the highest amounts of pesticides.  I buy organic produce whenever I can, and recommend this practice for the families I see, as well.  I will also choose local produce whenever it is available at farms and farmers' markets.  Statistically, these have been shown to be lower in pesticide residue as well.

Here is the list based on 2012 studies:

1.  Apples - not a surprise, they are usually high on the list every year;  apples are also notorious for being loaded with bacteria on their exterior surface as well; organic apples are easy to find - please buy those :)
2.  Celery - a surprise for me; can't say I see much organic celery or find it often at the farmer's markets
3.  Strawberries - usually a good local find for many people; I love picking my own at the local farms when I can
4.  Peaches
5.  Spinach - yes, it is a great thing to eat; obviously buy organic if you can
6.  Nectarines
7.  Imported grapes - interestingly, domestic grapes didn't make the list - shop accordingly
8.  Sweet (red) bell peppers
9.  Potatoes - a little surprise, evidently they absorb pesticides that are applied after harvest; peel and cook them to minimize risks
10.  Domestic blueberries - another fruit that I never buy unless it is organic/local
11.  Lettuce
12.  Kale - see comments for spinach above

The normal rule of thumb for any produce is this - any fruit or vegetable that is eaten raw with the peel intact exposes you to pesticide residue.  Wash all produce well, and buy organic when you can.  I can now find organic bananas at my local grocery store, and even though bananas are seldom on the list, I buy those now.  The price difference between organic and nonorganic is pretty small in most cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment